My photo
... is a freelance photographer working in Middle Georgia

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Using Backlight With Flowers

This photo is from a shoot I did earlier this month with Mark Ballard. Mark had picked an outside setting for the photo. I wanted strong backlight to help separate the arrangements from the background and to light up the fruit in the main vase.


We positioned them so they were in pretty heavy shade. I set up one flash to the left of the camera coming in at about 45 degrees. My original ISO was 250 which was too much. My first shot (the one at the bottom of the page) was way too hot. There was no detail in the table cloth. This first image was a test shot, with no flash.



I reset my ISO to 100, adjusted my basic exposure for the background and the table cloth. I wanted to background to be a bit darker than the subject. I was shooting manually, so I had to pick the shutter speed and lens aperture. I blanked them for my image, and then set my flash output to match the lens aperture I selected.

And there you have it.





No comments:

Blog Archive