My photo
... is a freelance photographer working in Middle Georgia

Friday, April 13, 2007

Practice



"You learn to see by practice. It's just like playing tennis, you get better the more you play. The more you look around at things, the more you see. The more you photograph, the more you realize what can be photographed and what can't be photographed. You just have to keep doing it." Eliot Porter



I went over to the CVS next door the other day. Folks from our office frequent the place for snacks since our vending machines are overpriced and under stocked. We are on a first name basis with a lot of the employees.
The manager introduced me to a new employee and told her "Danny has the best job in town." And I do.
I know how blessed I am to have a job I love so much. Not many people do. Trouble is I often am not sure where the job stops and the recreational picture-taking begins. I think it all runs together. Actually I know it does.
My wife Deborah is one of the few people who have been in my life that understand the way I am. I have known other photographers who were the same. We do some crazy hours. Some of it is because i have to. Things I am required to cover for work. Real early mornings, nights and weekends. You kinda make life fit your schedule. Lots of people who are in relationships don't understand.






Back in the old days of shooting film when we were dating(only about seven years ago) it was not unusual for us to be out and about and I shoot something that I wanted to do for the paper. It was either wait for me at home or tag along. She usually came along, and didn't get mad about late dinners or missed movies.
She still understands when I want to spend a Saturday morning or an evening shooting pictures. Some make the paper, some are just because I want to shoot em. She knows deep down that I would really be raking leaves than taking pictures. Yeah, right. She understands and takes pride in what I do.
A lot of people over the years have told me that I will end up burned out from shooting so much. Well, as long as I am having fun, I know I am okay. Doing the fun stuff keeps me sane, and makes up for the really boring assignments that come along.
And I sure need the practice!







No comments:

Blog Archive