My photo
... is a freelance photographer working in Middle Georgia

Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Fallen Hero Comes Home

Marine Cpl. Stephen Sackalosky came home last Thursday.  He died serving his country in Afghanistan.
I rode to Warner Robins Thursday morning to stand on the side of the road with hundreds of other folks to pay my respects.  He was traveling home to Cordele.

People were gathered along the roadway from US Highway 41 all the way to the base. I rode the length of the route trying to decide where to stand.  By the time I reached Houston Road, I had such a huge lump in my throat, my eyes filled with tears. It was an emotional time. Carried me back to memories of 1968, loosing my first really good friend to war. Also made me think again about all the folks serving our country now, putting themselves in harm's way, protecting our freedom. Not only those serving in the military, but their families who have to wait at home, praying for their safe return.

It was awesome to see so many people coming out to honor someone they didn't know. Had no idea there were so many American Flags in Houston County.

Too many of us take this life and country of ours for granted. Don't think too often about our people serving in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other places far away from home. The moms and dads, wives and husbands waiting at home. We owe them all a huge THANK YOU.

Take a few minutes sometimes to say a prayer for them all, and the next time you see someone in uniform, shake their hand and tell them thanks for what they do.

No comments:

Blog Archive