My photo
... is a freelance photographer working in Middle Georgia

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Goodbye, Arras



I had a definite first last week. I shot a memorial service for Arras, a Military Working Dog who was killed in Iraq in September. He and his handler Staff Sgt. Marcus Reaves were deployed from Robins Air Force Base to Sather Air Base, Iraq. He had been trained as an explosive detector and was killed while searching for weapons and explosives. Staff Sgt. Reaves was injured.



Someone asked how you cover a funeral for a dog. With respect and honor. But from a photographic standpoint, I did it like I shoot most things. The service was held in the Base Theater at Robins. I was finding pictures before I parked the car. As we drove in I noticed that the Warner Robins Police K-9 unit had formed an honor guard at the entrance. I went straight to them.



Any time I cover an event, I shoot whatever looks like a decent image. Don't ever wait for the great photo, you miss too much. That is what editing is about. Shoot as you go, thinking about the one play photo that tells the story, and detail shots to fill out the story.



This was a somber occasion, and that has an effect on how I work. I tried to stay as inconspicuous as possible, without missing a photo opportunity. Be nice, but keep shooting.

1 comment:

Kim A. said...

Wow... the empty kennel picture really gave me goosebumps. Being the animal lover that I am, it really struck me. A very poignant and moving shot. This is certainly a unique assignment, and I think you did a wonderful job covering it with the respect that four-legged soldier deserved.

Blog Archive