My photo
... is a freelance photographer working in Middle Georgia

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Color or Black and White?

I brought this image out of the files this week while preparing for a show next month at the Fort Valley State University Art Department's gallery in downtown Fort Valley. I have always liked this photo. It is old enough that it was shot on film. In my infinite wisdom and creativity I have always called it "The Red Hat."

Of course, it has both a red hat and a red dress. I have thought several times about converting all but the hat into black and white. I have actually worked with it on several occasions, but never saved the results. In the past I have kept the hat and dress red, and sometimes the lips. This time I made it truly "The Red Hat."

I love the color version, red hat and dress, the blue background, and the contrast of red lips on pale skin. Gonna have to think about this for a while.

If you are not sure how to do the coversion, it is really simple in Photoshop. Just go to Image, then down to Adjust, to Desaturate. Use the history brush to either paint in the color you want into the blacka nd white image, or black and white into the color version. Just be sure to rename it when you save it, so you preserve the original image.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read that post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Truly yours

Blog Archive