My photo
... is a freelance photographer working in Middle Georgia

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Create More Dynamic Photographs



I went out yesterday and shot workers pruning peach trees. The top image is my favorite. It is also from the end of the shoot. I started out following the guy around the tree, shooting from pretty much eye level.

The middle photo was one of the first. It is kinda confusing, no real focal point in the picture. Nothing grabs your eye. The horizon cuts through the middle of the frame, and your eye gets tangled up on all those limbs.



The bottom photo was my next viewpoint. I crouched down, bringing the horizon down, creating less confusion. Still not a real clean image, but better than the first.

My last series of frames, I went to the ground, looking up. The very low angle makes for a much more dynamic photograph. There is no clutter now, all elements help tell the story. The diagonal lines pull your eye into the image. Works quite nicely.

One of the easiest things to change in a photograph is the point of view. Too often, folks just walk up to their subject, put the camera to their eye, and push the shutter
button. Well, look through that viewfinder. Be aware of the clutter, both in the foreground and background. Walk around, shoot some from eye level, some low, and maybe some from above eye level. Don't be afraid to get on the ground, and don't forget to get closer.

No comments:

Blog Archive