My photo
... is a freelance photographer working in Middle Georgia

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My New Toy Ain't So New



I bought a new camera last week. Well, it is new to me, someone else had it but used it very little. It is a Nikon D70. Kinda old technology when compared to the D3 and the D300.
Two of my good friends, Sue Sapp and Gary Harmon have just gotten their D300’s and probably think I am crazy for buying this old thing. BUt I had my resaons for picking it.



I have been shooting more and more using off camera flashes, using SB28’s and a Sunpak 120J, getting pretty good results except when shooting outside during the day. Too often I could not get the image I wanted because the camera would not synch with the flash highr than 1/250th of a second. Keep in mind that I am mostly shooting with camera and flash in manual mode during these occasions.



Enter the D70. If you don’t shoot TTL mode, you can synch this puppy up to 1/4000th
of a second. Whoa, baby. Just what I wanted. These images of Erica were done at 3pm on a sunny afternoon, shot at 1/3200th of a second.



This is using an old fashioned PC cord so the camera doesn’t realize there is a flash involved. I canonly use my radio trigger at about 1/1200th due to the delay in firing the flash.
The cord is that much quicker.

This will also work with the old D1. Just another tool for doing the job.

No comments:

Blog Archive