My photo
... is a freelance photographer working in Middle Georgia

Monday, January 11, 2010

The Geyser

We had a bit of excitement in our small town today. A tractor-trailer backed over a fireplug, creating a geyser on Main Street. By the time I got to the scene, the water had backed up from the storm drain, curb deep and reaching about four or five feet out into the street.
To get the picture I wanted, there way no way to avoid wet feet. At least the temperature today ws back up above 40 degrees.

I shot my first photos normally, using a higher shutter speed since I was out in sunshine. The shutter speed was high enough to stop the spray, making a sort of lacy look. I decided to try shooting slow enough to catch the flow of the water, A smoother look to the spray. I dropped my ISO back to 100, and was able to to get an exposure of 1/20 at f29. The top photo was with the slower shutter speed, the bottom photo with the higher.

No comments:

Blog Archive