My photo
... is a freelance photographer working in Middle Georgia

Thursday, January 7, 2010

No Photograph Today

This is my first post with no photograph. Just wanted to put this out there.

Last week I was traveling between assignments when I spotted a man picking up pecans alongside Highway 96. Wonderful photo opportunity, the main photo was obvious. A really wide shot of this lone figure under the huge bare pecan trees. Then a tight shot from down low of him gathering pecans and dropping them in his bucket.
I parked and got out with my cameras. The man retreated to his truck. I walked over and introduced myself and explained my purpose for interrupting his work.
He told me he recognized my name and enjoyed seeing my pictures. He went on to explain that he was going through a rough patch right now. He is a construction worker hit by the economy. His mom died recently and he had to take care of her expenses. He lost his apartment and the last several nights he spent in his pickup. The owner of the pecan trees told him he could pick up pecans and sell them.
He was very embarrassed by his current circumstances, and asked that I not take his picture. I told him I really wanted to photograph him and tell his story, but I said okay, I understand.
The man went on to say that although he was having a hard time now, he knew God was looking out for him. He was thankful for the chance to make a little money with the pecans.
It is not uncommon for me to shoot a picture that touches me, that leaves an emotional mark on my heart. This time it was the photo that I didn’t shoot that had a strong effect on me. Should I have pushed a little harder? I don’t think so. Not this time.
But he is in my prayers. The least that I can do.

No comments:

Blog Archive