My photo
... is a freelance photographer working in Middle Georgia

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Capturing the Soul

"I try to photograph people's spirits and thoughts. As to the soul-taking by the photographer, I don't feel I take away, but rather that the sitter and I give to each other. It becomes an act of mutual participation." Yousuf Karsh

I have encountered two people who would not let me photograph them because they did not want me to capture their soul in "that little box." Both were quite serious. Maybe others who would not be photographed felt the same way, but would not say the reason. Who knows?



I do take from people I photograph. I do try to capture something of their essence. That is what I do, hope so anyway. Without that essence, that touch of them, the photo is so lifeless. But it is an exchange. If I am not open and giving of myself there is no opening, no connection. Sometimes it is almost painful, a draining
of the soul. Othertimes, its like flying.
I have met people that I just have to photograph, not due to to their physical apearance, but there is something there, a glimpse into their soul, a spark, a connection. Maybe it comes with the art. Maybe it is just a part of the cosmos, a link between us all that we sometimes recognize. Maybe it is my imagination. I gave up trying to figure this out long ago.





No comments:

Blog Archive